UK: Carlsberg sells two brewery stakes
Carlsberg has sold its stakes in two breweries for a combined value of around US$116m.
The Danish brewer today (23 July) announced the sale of its 95.6% stake in Türk Tuborg Bira ve Malt Sanayi for $80m and its 20% stake in Israel Beer Breweries for $36m.
Israeli beverage company CBC Group - Carlsberg's partner in Israel and Romania - is the buyer of both stakes.
As part of the deal, Türk Tuborg will continue to produce Carlsberg and a number of Tuborg brands on a license basis.
"All parties will benefit from this deal. By selling our stakes in Türk Tuborg Carlsberg is optimising its business portfolio," said Carleberg's president & CEO Jørgen Buhl Rasmussen. "We are confident that CBC Group will build on the momentum already created by Türk Tuborg and its highly skilled employees and thereby further develop the brewery and its well known brands. They all have huge potential, which Türk Tuborg supported by CBC Group, will do its utmost to exploit."
In March, Carlsberg signed a Memorandum of Understanding with CBC Group with the aim of selling its Tuborg unit.
For our final interview of 2008, we're putting aside sales forecasts and market performances for a moment in favour of a personal reflection on one of the drinks world's most influential figures, Robe...
The brewing sector has seen steady consolidation in recent years and 2008 was certainly no exception. Olly Wehring reviews a year which began with the protracted takeover of S&N by Heineken and Carlsb...
Some of the fizz certainly seems to have left Cobra Beer's fortunes, after the UK-based company announced last week that it had been put up for sale by its founder, Lord Bilimoria....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Carlsberg has announced a shake-up of its executive committee and a plan to cut almost 300 jobs in Northern Europe....
SABMiller has confirmed its ongoing interest in acquiring a brewery in Belarus, following state media reports of government support for a move....
Asia Pacific Breweries has switched the importation, marketing and distribution of its Tiger Beer brand to Scottish & Newcastle UK in the country....
Carlsberg UK has formed a partnership with County Estate Management Pubs and Country Choice to offer an entry-level food concept as part of the 'Savour It' brand....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends