GERMANY: Carlsberg sells Landskron brewery
Carlsberg has sold its Landskron Brauerei in southern Germany for an undisclosed sum.
The Danish brewing giant said today (29 June) that it had sold the brewery, based in Görlitz, 200km south of Berlin, to Dr. Lobeck Stiftung, owner of a brewery in Schwelm, western Germany.
A Carlsberg spokesman said sales of the Landskron brand were too low to justify keeping the label. "It sells around 200,000 hectolitres, which is just a small part of our total production in Germany and too small to be interesting for our business," he told just-drinks.
After the sale, effective from 1 July, Carlsberg will run four plants in Germany with a total annual capacity of 7.9m hl.
The spokesman declined to outline how much money Carlsberg would save from selling the brewery. However, in recent months Carlsberg has embarked on a series of cost-cutting efforts in Western Europe as beer consumption in the region stagnates. The brewer saw volumes fall 4% in the region last year as sales dipped in Sweden and the UK.
Baltic Beverages Holding has made its first direct investment into Belarus with the purchase of a 30% stake in local beer maker Olivaria Brewery....
Carlsberg has admitted that it has opened a sales office in Bosnia....
Carlsberg has refused to be drawn on reports that it is looking to set up a business in Bosnia....
Anheuser-Busch will decide whether to enter India "probably within three months", the head of the US brewing giant's international operations told just-drinks today (12 December)....
Danish brewer Royal Unibrew has reshuffled its management team, the company announced today (11 December)....
The Vietnamese government is to sell off shares in state-owned drinks company Saigon Beer Alcohol Beverage Corp. (Sabeco)....
Carlsberg has finally signalled its entry into India after months of speculation surrounding the brewer's ambitions for the fast-growing beer market....
The head of Carlsberg's operations in Denmark is to leave the brewer....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- Innis & Gunn looks to build first brewery
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research