EUROPE: Carlsberg sees Euro 2012 sales soar, with a week still to go
Carlsberg says consumption is up 49% per spectator
Carlsberg's beer sales at stadiums hosting the European Football Championships have already topped that from the entire last tournament, with consumption up 49% per spectator.
The Danish brewer, which is the official sponsor of the three-week tournament, said yesterday (21 June) that sales figures across the eight stadiums in Poland and Ukraine were significantly up on the 2008 tournament in Austria and Switzerland, with just over a week of the event to go. However, it did not reveal exact numbers.
Nearly 4m fans have already visited the eight fan parks in the two countries, while Kiev is increasing the size of its space to accommodate up to 200,000 fans, the brewer said.
"We are executing our plans well and it has been pleasing to see our market operations working together to ensure that the millions of fans attending the stadia and fan parks have been able to enjoy a fresh Carlsberg while watching some great football matches," said Carsten Buhl, Carlsberg's senior project manager.
He estimates that around 1m servings could be poured in the Kiev stadium and across the fan parks and viewing areas, during half-time of the final on 1 July.
Analyst Trevor Stirling yesterday suggested that Heineken and Carlsberg will get a short-term boost from many of its larger European markets having teams in the knock-out stages of the tournament.
Meanwhile, in the UK around 5m extra pints will be sold in pubs and the equivalent of 3m will be drunk at home during England's quarter-final clash with Italy on Sunday, the British Beer & Pub Association predicts.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2012....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read analyses on just-drinks in 2012....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2012....
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Pay freeze anger threatens Carlsberg UK site
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research