INDIA: Carlsberg secures first Indian brewery
Carlsberg has sealed the purchase of its first brewery in India.
The Danish brewer confirmed today (14 May) that it has bought a ten-year-old facility in the state of Himachal Pradesh, north of the capital New Delhi. Financial details of the purchase were not disclosed, although the transaction marks Carlsberg's first brewery in the country, through its joint venture South Asia Breweries.
The brewery, bought from "local investors", has an annual capacity of 150,000 hectolitres, but "could easily be doubled in size at least," a spokesperson for Carlsberg told just-drinks.
"We would use Carlsberg brands in the plant," the spokesperson continued, adding that the brewery will serve the Himachal Pradesh region, "with the opportunity to also supply the north Indian states, including New Delhi".
The brewer announced the formation of South Asia Breweries in December after months of speculation surrounding its ambitions for the fast-growing beer market. Carlsberg plans to build a greenfield brewery in Rajasthan with its partner in Sri Lanka, The Lion Brewery Ceylon. Carlsberg will have a 45% interest in the venture. The brewery is slated to be up and running by the first quarter of 2008.
Scottish & Newcastle faces a tough battle to defend itself from the joint takeover launched by Carlsberg and Heineken. But today's announcement of a legal challenge to Carlsberg over alleged breac...
Carlsberg has confirmed that brewery closures in Europe are on the cards due to the decline in beer consumption, adding it is using a recently closed local site to build "a new city"....
SABMiller has stayed silent on reports that it may be taking advice from banks over a possible bid for Scottish & Newcastle....
JP Morgan has started coverage of the European beverage sector, with the bank's top pick being the UK-based brewer SABMiller....
Scottish & Newcastle has said that it has "nothing to talk about" with prospective buyers Carlsberg and Heineken....
Baltic Beverages Holding has posted another strong set of figures, with third quarter sales and operating profit both registering impressive increases....
Carlsberg has reported double digit growth in revenues and operating profit for its first nine months, as the company benefited from higher sales volumes and positive results from its "Excellence" pro...
Carlsberg is looking to invest in its Serbian unit next year, according to local reports....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends