UK/DENMARK: Carlsberg, Scottish & Newcastle get arbitration decision date
Scottish & Newcastle and Carlsberg have been advised of an expected conclusion date for the arbitration process regarding ownership of their Eastern European joint venture.
The two brewers confirmed today (3 January) that The Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce has written to both parties, confirming that a decision should be reached early this summer.
Last year, Carlsberg teamed up with Heineken to look at making a takeover push for Scottish & Newcastle. The UK-based brewer subsequently claimed that Carlsberg had breached the shareholder agreement regarding their Baltic Beverages Holding joint venture. S&N claims that Carlsberg's movements mean that it now has the right to buy Carlsberg's stake in BBH, a claim that Carlsberg has dismissed.
"The final award shall be made by 3 July, 2008," the letter from the institute concluded. While both S&N and Carlsberg have welcomed the letter, Carlsberg has claimed that "the standard timetable is routinely extended and in practice cases of this nature typically take in excess of 12 months to reach a conclusion". The final decision is not open to appeal.
Last month, the UK Takeover Panel said that Carlsberg and Heineken have until 21 January to make a formal offer for S&N. Should the European brewers not make a formal offer, then thereafter, neither Carlsberg nor Heineken would be permitted to make a bid for six months.
The CEO of Maxxium Worldwide has announced his intention to quit the marketing and distribution company, just-drinks can exclusively reveal....
The director of L & L, the French company known for its Cognac-based cocktail Alizé, has been taken into police custody this week in Bordeaux....
Need to know - Ten facts about Maxxium...
Carlsberg has completed the sale of three Scandinavian soft drinks and water brands to The Coca-Cola Co....
William Grant & Sons has appointed Lesley Jackson as its new group finance director....
Thiénot Group has switched agents in the UK for its Canard-Duchêne Champagne house....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine is linking individuals and organisations with "The Stuff Inside", through a new US marketing campaign for its Jim Beam brand....
InBev has confirmed full details of the impending launch of Stella Artois 4% abv in the UK....
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future