DENMARK: Carlsberg revamps Ramlosa offering after tough '07
Carlsberg is revamping its Ramlosa mineral water portfolio in Denmark, on the back of a disappointing 2007 for the brand.
Speaking to just-drinks today (8 January), a spokesperson for Carlsberg in Denmark confirmed that Ramlosa had not performed "as we had hoped" in the two years since Carlsberg acquired it. "I wouldn't say that Ramlosa has caused us problems," the spokesperson said, "but we saw a decline in volume sales in Denmark last year of around 0.5%, after a 2% rise in sales in 2006."
The spokesperson highlighted the poor summer in the country as a reason for the slip.
Consequently, the spokesperson said, Carlsberg has lined up new packaging formats, the introduction of new variants and a "more younger" communication message.
As well as releasing new carbonated and non-carbonated versions into the Danish on-trade, the spokesperson said that non-carbonated Ramlosa will also be available in 60cl sports bottles in the off-trade. The labelling is also being updated to make the product stand out on retail shelves.
"Whereas the initial target market for Ramlosa had been 35-45-year-olds, we are now looking to attract 20-35-year-olds to the brand," the spokesperson added.
Carlsberg acquired Ramlosa Halsobrunn in 2001, and took over distribution of the brand in Denmark from Royal Unibrew in January 2006.
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included news on V&S and A-B and cost pressures at Cott, whilst whisky dominated the spirits headlines....
Carlsberg has increased its control of Estonian brewer Saku Ölletehas....
Carlsberg has completed the sale of three Scandinavian soft drinks and water brands to The Coca-Cola Co....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Baltika has started exporting its beer brands to Romania and Hungary....
Carlsberg is looking to spend in the region of DKK1bn (US$207.5m) on centralising its business model in Western Europe....
Carlsberg has hailed the success of the 'fan zones' at this year's Euro 2008 football tournament in Austria and Switzerland....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research