TURKEY: Carlsberg prepares sale of Turk Tuborg
Carlsberg has lined up the sale of Türk Tuborg Bira ve Malt Sanayi in Turkey.
The Denmark-based brewer announced today (27 March) that it has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with CBC Group, Carlsberg's partner in the Romanian and Israeli markets, to buy Carlsberg's 95.65% stake in Türk Tuborg.
Details of the transaction remain subject to discussion and final agreement, while a further announcement will be made in due course, the company said.
When contacted by just-drinks today, a spokesperson for Carlsberg said the announcement has been made to adhere to regulatory requirements. "We cannot add any more details at this point," the spokesperson said. "It is very early days." The spokesperson declined to say why Carlsberg is looking to offload the unit.
Listed on the stock exchange in Istanbul, Türk Tuborg was formed in 1967 through a partnership between Carlsberg's Tuborg Breweries and Yasar Holding. Carlsberg took over the majority shareholding of Türk Tuborg in 2001.
The unit holds the number two spot in the Turkish beer market, while around 20% of its production is exported to more than 20 countries including the US.
Lehman Brothers, the fourth largest US investment house and adviser to several drinks companies, has collapsed into bankruptcy....
Carlsberg has followed Coors Brewers and InBev by upping its beer prices in the UK....
Dutch brewer Heineken has appointed a new head for its Americas division....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Heineken has said it expects a mid-single digit profit rise for 2008, following strong revenue growth and a series of cost savings measures in its first half....
Carlsberg has announced another change of leadership at its recently-acquired Brasseries Kronenbourg operations in France....
Heineken has completed a review of its recently-acquired half of Scottish & Newcastle, and has said it expects higher synergy savings than it previously forecast....
Heineken has been given clearance to proceed with its purchase of Eichhof Holdings' beverage division in Switzerland....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends