CHINA: Carlsberg "poised to sell" Chinese breweries

By Chris Brook-Carter | 17 July 2000

Carlsberg, the world's sixth-largest brewer, is reportedly poised to sell control of an unprofitable Shanghai brewery to Tsingtao Brewery Company, China's largest beermaker, according to Chinese press reports.Tsingtao disclosed its plans in June to acquire at least two foreign breweries in China's major cities to boost production capacity and to double its share of the world's second-largest beer market to 10%. Carlsberg is negotiating the sale of as much as 75% of its brewery in Songjiang, a Shanghai suburb, sources told a Chinese paper. The Songjiang brewery commenced operation in October 1998 with an investment of $36.4m. Carlsberg owns 95% of the plant. The remaining 5% is owned by the Songjiang city government.Chris Brook-Carter

just-drinks articles are only available to registered users and members.

Join now for increased access

There are various access options to choose from. All provide instant access to the latest news, insight and expert analysis.

If you’re already a member, login here.

Carlsberg, the world's sixth-largest brewer, is reportedly poised to sell control of an unprofitable Shanghai brewery to Tsingtao Brewery Company, China's largest beermaker, according to Chinese press reports.Tsingtao disclosed its plans in June to acquire at least two foreign breweries in China's major cities to boost production capacity and to double its share of the world's second-largest beer market to 10%. Carlsberg is negotiating the sale of as much as 75% of its brewery in Songjiang, a Shanghai suburb, sources told a Chinese paper. The Songjiang brewery commenced operation in October 1998 with an investment of $36.4m. Carlsberg owns 95% of the plant. The remaining 5% is owned by the Songjiang city government.Chris Brook-Carter

  • Unlimited access to all the latest global beverage news and insight
  • Expert analysis that puts the news into context
  • Exclusive interviews with leading industry figures
  • Monthly management briefings with detailed analysis on hot topics
  • Personalised RSS feeds and email newsletters
  • 10-year archive of news, insight and intelligence
  • Discounts on just-drinks market research
  • Plus much more

If you’re already a member, login here

Not what you were looking for?

Search just-drinks:

More articles related to this one

VIETNAM: Carlsberg courtship pays off with deal
Carlsberg has finally hooked up with a state-owned Vietnamese brewer.

DENMARK: Carlsberg mulls IT services outsourcing
Carlsberg has entered into negotiations with the IBM Group regarding a possible outsourcing of the Danish brewer's IT services in Europe.

DENMARK: Carlsberg Q1 prompts rating drop
Carlsberg's rating has been lowered following its disappointing Q1 figures earlier this week.

just-drinks tagline

Not a member? Join here

Decrease font sizeDecrease font sizeDecrease font size Increase font sizeIncrease font sizeIncrease font size Comment on this article Email this to a friend Print this page