UK: Carlsberg pins hopes on innovation
Danish brewing giant Carlsberg has said it will focus on innovation to boost its sales in the UK this year.
Carlsberg, which is the fourth-largest brewer in the UK, has seen sales in the country stagnate amid fierce competition and flat beer consumption.
Reports in the UK last weekend suggested that the brewer was on the look-out for acquisitions to bolster its position in what is a mature market.
However, a Carlsberg spokesman in Copenhagen played down the reports. "There are no concrete plans for buying assets in the UK," he told just-drinks today (2 January).
The spokesman said Carlsberg would look to introduce new products into the UK market in the coming months. "We are always trying to be innovative and while we would never talk about our products before they were launched, you can be sure there will be more innovation from Carlsberg in the UK."
Last year, Carlsberg launched Carlsberg Edge a citrus-infused beer aimed at young, female drinkers.
The spokesman added the brewer would continue to look at ways to make its UK operations more efficient. Last year, some 26 jobs were lost from Carlsberg's UK operations as the brewer outsourced a number of accounting functions across Europe.
Carlsberg stays silent over speculation it plans to bid for Scottish & Newcastle....
Carlsberg has lined up a range of wines exclusively for the UK on-trade....
Carlsberg has moved to quell speculation that it has started lining up candidates for the post of chief executive....
Carlsberg has extended its sponsorship deal with English football team Liverpool....
Scottish and Newcastle has denied press reports that Carlsberg tried to poach its finance director....
Carlsberg's CEO plans to leave the company and take on a new role as the head of the Danish transport company, AP Moller Maersk....
Two national CEOs at Carlsberg are set to leave the brewer....
Carlsberg has launched one of its Eastern European beers in India....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future