SWEDEN: Carlsberg phases out Stockholm production
The Swedish subsidiary of the Danish brewer Carlsberg is to end production at its Stockholm brewery, resulting in 300 job losses.
The company has decided to transfer the production of beer and soft drinks from the brewery in Stockholm to Falkenberg and to a lesser extent to Copenhagen.
The transfer of the production will take place gradually, and the process is to be completed during October 2004. It is expected that this decision will improve Carlsberg Sweden's operating profit with approximately SEK70m annually with full effect from 2005.
Though the company said approximately 300 jobs will be shed in Stockholm, some 60 new jobs will be created in Falkenberg. One-time costs related to the restructuring cannot yet be specified.
"The reason for the decision is the past years' weak development in
Carlsberg Sweden's sales and earnings in a market characterized by a very high level of excise duties on beer, substantial parallel import and increasing consumption of discount beer," the company said in a statement.
As to rationalisation of administration in Sweden, a decision is expected to be made in December 2003.
Carlsberg has finally hooked up with a state-owned Vietnamese brewer....
Carlsberg has entered into negotiations with the IBM Group regarding a possible outsourcing of the Danish brewer's IT services in Europe....
Carlsberg's rating has been lowered following its disappointing Q1 figures earlier this week....
Carlsberg said today that global beer volume showed a 20% increase in the first quarter of the year driven by strong organic growth in BBH as well as a considerable contribution from acquisitions, inc...
Carlsberg has appointed a managing director for its Chinese operations....
Carlsberg has increased its ownership in Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad from 49.66% to 51%. The investment amounts to approximately US$6m....
Dutch brewer Heineken is rumored to have released a self-chilling beer can....
The Bosnian government has put a majority stake in the country's brewery Banjalucka Pivara up for sale. Previous efforts to privatise the brewer have failed....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Why Millennials are driving premium wine demand
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets