SWEDEN: Carlsberg phases out Stockholm production
The Swedish subsidiary of the Danish brewer Carlsberg is to end production at its Stockholm brewery, resulting in 300 job losses.
The company has decided to transfer the production of beer and soft drinks from the brewery in Stockholm to Falkenberg and to a lesser extent to Copenhagen.
The transfer of the production will take place gradually, and the process is to be completed during October 2004. It is expected that this decision will improve Carlsberg Sweden's operating profit with approximately SEK70m annually with full effect from 2005.
Though the company said approximately 300 jobs will be shed in Stockholm, some 60 new jobs will be created in Falkenberg. One-time costs related to the restructuring cannot yet be specified.
"The reason for the decision is the past years' weak development in
Carlsberg Sweden's sales and earnings in a market characterized by a very high level of excise duties on beer, substantial parallel import and increasing consumption of discount beer," the company said in a statement.
As to rationalisation of administration in Sweden, a decision is expected to be made in December 2003.
Carlsberg has finally hooked up with a state-owned Vietnamese brewer....
Carlsberg has entered into negotiations with the IBM Group regarding a possible outsourcing of the Danish brewer's IT services in Europe....
Carlsberg's rating has been lowered following its disappointing Q1 figures earlier this week....
Carlsberg said today that global beer volume showed a 20% increase in the first quarter of the year driven by strong organic growth in BBH as well as a considerable contribution from acquisitions, inc...
Carlsberg has appointed a managing director for its Chinese operations....
Carlsberg has increased its ownership in Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad from 49.66% to 51%. The investment amounts to approximately US$6m....
Dutch brewer Heineken is rumored to have released a self-chilling beer can....
The Bosnian government has put a majority stake in the country's brewery Banjalucka Pivara up for sale. Previous efforts to privatise the brewer have failed....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- Beam Suntory to roll out "Scotch-infused" Bourbon
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Spirit Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts