UK: Carlsberg "never fell out" with S&N - Carlsberg CEO
The Danish brewer confirmed today (25 January) that it has teamed up with Heineken to make a recommended offer for S&N of GBP8.00 per share. S&N's board finally agreed to discuss a takeover bid from the two companies last week, having snubbed three previous proposed offers, and last year labelled Carlsberg "pathetic, desparate men clutching at straws".
Speaking in London today, Carlsberg's CEO, Jørgen Buhl Rasmussen, said that the perceived animosity between S&N and Carlsberg had not been as pronounced as reports throughout the process had suggested.
"To be honest, I don't know if we have fallen out with Scottish & Newcastle," Rasmussen said. "I would say that the last few days have been a very pleasant experience. We've been getting very strong cooperation from the whole team (at S&N) - I even had a very nice beer with (S&N's CEO) John Dunsmore the other night.
"When we started this process, we clearly had our strategy in place," he continued. "When you go through this process, there's always going to be a lot of negotiations. That has been the case throughout this process. We've never changed the way we thought about our strategy - this kind of deal was right on track for us all along.
"We have now created the fastest growing brewer in the world," Rasmussen concluded. "That will be the case going forward, and that's a significant transformation."
The Asia Pacific region is home to some of the world's largest spirits producers though many of them are focused predominantly on their domestic markets. Others, however, are expanding their internati...
Pernod Ricard has been set a selection of hoops to jump through ahead of the closure of its acquisition of Vin & Sprit....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Molson Coors has confirmed an addition to its board of directors....
The Coca-Cola Co. has confirmed details of its latest dividend and the election of two new officers....
Allied Blenders & Distillers (ABD) has introduced the German vodka brand Wodka Gorbatschow to the Indian market....
Anglo Drinks is unveiling four pre-mixed alcoholic drinks, under the brand name Crystal Camel....
Maxxium UK is launching an Absolut Vodka summer gift pack for the UK market....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- AB InBev raises SAB cash offer by GBP1 per share
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends