UK: Carlsberg mum on S&N bid, but analysts see it coming
Carlsberg has stayed silent over speculation it plans to bid for Scottish & Newcastle.
Speaking to just-drinks today (29 June) the Danish brewer remained tight-lipped when quizzed over recent press speculation suggesting it plans to buy Scottish & Newcastle.
A spokesperson from Carlsberg said: "We will not comment on rumours" when asked about the brewery's interest in the UK brewer.
A report by Reuters yesterday claimed that the heads of the Carlsberg Foundation, which owns 51% of the brewer's votes, told the news agency that a big deal was in the offing. Analysts firmly believe that it is S&N that is the sites.
In a research note released today by Dresdner Kleinwort seen by just-drinks, the investment bank's analysts said: "We put a 70% probability on an acquisition of S&N by Carlsberg. S&N has a 100% free float.
"There is strong industrial logic in putting S&N's and Carlsberg's businesses together - uniting the ownership of BBH (currently 50:50 owned by the two) would make it easier to manage and allow Carlsberg to capture 100% of the cash flows; gross synergies of an estimated £132m, partly offset by disposal dilution of £49m; a bigger balance sheet would make subsequent acquisitions easier. Both companies' managements have acknowledged the logic of a deal in the past."
It went on: "Carlsberg's strategic priority is to ensure that it does not lose its 50% stake in BBH...The only way for Carlsberg to be certain of keeping its 50% stake in BBH is to own 100%. The only way to get 100% is to buy S&N."
Carlsberg's controlling shareholder, the Carlsberg Foundation, recently changed its rules to allow Carlsberg to issue up to €6.9bn of new equity.
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has confirmed reports that it will sell back the distribution rights to Dalmore Scotch whisky in the US....
Carlsberg has played down reports that it has backed out of the auction for Vin & Sprit....
Drinks Americas Holdings has raised around US$3m from a private placement....
Lion Nathan's purchase of Tasmanian brewer J. Boag & Son took a step nearer today (19 December), with the trans-Tasman drinks company gaining informal approval for the acquisition from competition aut...
Fuller, Smith & Turner has confirmed details of its finance director change....
The Swedish government has begun the auction process for state-owned Vin & Sprit by contacting a wealth of interested bidders....
The UK Takeover Panel has set a deadline for Carlsberg and Heineken's pursuit of Scottish & Newcastle....
Carlsberg has upped its presence in South East Asia through the purchase of a majority stake in Lao Soft Drink Co....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- The future for drinks industry's waste products
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends