DENMARK: Carlsberg may close European breweries
Carlsberg has confirmed that brewery closures in Europe are on the cards due to the decline in beer consumption, adding it is using a recently closed local site to build "a new city".
Speaking to just-drinks today (9 November) a spokesperson for the company said: "There have been no decisions in terms of which ones will close, but we have them on the agenda."
"The beer market in Europe is stable or declining. People in Western Europe don't want to increase their beer consumption, as a result of that, we will have to close some down," the spokesperson said.
Carlsberg also plans to redevelop its site in Valby in Denmark and turn it into "a new city".
The spokesperson added: "Rather than live in one place and work in another, we would like it to be a place where people can live and work and will use great architecture and be part of a community. We shall be calling it 'Our City'."
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Carlsberg and Heineken have completed their purchase of Scottish & Newcastle....
Carlsberg has restructured its regions following its joint purchase of Scottish & Newcastle, with a view to "focus more on innovation"....
Heineken has said that it hopes to resolve the ongoing issues with its Indian assets "as soon as possible"....
Scottish & Newcastle is set to cease to exist at the end of this week....
Kronenbourg has said that it is looking to re-conquer the ailing French beer market by increasing its share in the country's HORECA sector....
Carlsberg has succeeded in gaining an increased holding in Vietnamese brewer Hanoi Beer Alcohol and Beverage Co (Habeco)....
Heineken shareholders have approved the acquisition by Sunrise Acquisitions, a company jointly owned by Heineken and Carlsberg for the entire share capital of Scottish & Newcastle....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends