DENMARK: Carlsberg looks to niche beer to boost sales
Carlsberg is looking to lease brewing facilities in Copenhagen in order to brew its expaning range of speciality beers for the Danish market.
The brewing giant is in discussions with the owners of the Christian IV brewhouse in central Copenhagen over a possible brewing deal.
Jan Madsen, managing director House of Beer, Carlsberg's domestic speciality beer business, told just-drinks today (21 March) that the brewer will launch three more niche brands next month.
Madsen said the three beers would be brewed at Carlsberg's Valby site, while talks to lease the Christian IV brewhouse continue. Carlsberg plans to close its Valby brewery next year.
"For the last four years, there has been a very big interest in the premium speciality segment - it's growing quite significantly," Madsen said.
"If you look at the super-premium segment, which is beers priced at over DKK19 (US$x) a litre, that segment is growing at 21% both for foreign and Danish speciality beers."
Madsen added: "Over the last 12 months, the mainstream market has gone down by 1%, although Carlsberg is taking share."
Carlsberg's House of Beer business sells brands including Hoegaarden, Leffe and Duvel in Denmark.
Carlsberg is planning to increase its investments in manufacturing and distribution in the Indian market, according to reports....
Scottish & Newcastle has had its share coverage downgraded, due to a potential takeover bid from Carlsberg now seeming "unlikely"....
Rock legend Bryan Ferry is to appear in the latest TV advert for Carlsberg in the UK, but the ad puts the Roxy Music frontman in a supporting role to three ordinary lads....
The possible takeover of Scottish & Newcastle by Carlsberg hit the UK headlines again last weekend, with speculation suggesting the UK brewer will highlight its positive features to investors....
Baltic Beverages Holding is looking to launch its Holsten beer brand in Ukraine, according to local reports....
Baltic Beverages Holding has officially inaugurated its new brewery in Uzbekistan....
The new CEO of Carlsberg has said that the brewer is now "in a strong position" to make acquisitions going forward....
Carlsberg has appointed a new CEO to take over from Nils Smedegaard Andersen from October....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends