CZECH: Carlsberg lines up Zatecky Pivovar purchase
Carlsberg has a partnership with Budejovicky Budvar
Carlsberg is to buy a majority stake in Czech brewer Zatecky Pivovar as it targets demand in Europe for Czech beer.
The Danish group said today (3 April) it has entered into an agreement to take a 51% stake in Zatecky, which owns the Zatec beer brand. Carlsberg plans to roll out Zatec in selected markets across Europe.
A Carlsberg spokesperson told just-drinks no financial details of the tie-up are being disclosed. The spokesperson also said Russia will be a focus of Zatec's export strategy.
Zatecky Pivovar, in the Zatec (Saaz) hops growing region, has a 200,000-hectolitre annual capacity and also brews the gluten-free beer brand Celia.
The Carlsberg spokesperson said the deal will not affect the brewer's ongoing partnerships with other Czech beer brands.
Carlsberg has been distributing beer from Czech brewery Budejovicky Budvar since 2007, in markets including Denmark, Finland and Sweden. Carlsberg also distributes Molson Coors' Staropramen Czech beer in the UK. Meanwhile, Budvar distributes Carlsberg's trademark beer and its Somersby cider in Czech.
Sales of Budvar's flagship lager - Budweiser Budvar Premium - rose by 9% in January’s full-year results as exports drove the brewer to record sales and volumes.
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research