CZECH: Carlsberg lines up Zatecky Pivovar purchase
Carlsberg has a partnership with Budejovicky Budvar
Carlsberg is to buy a majority stake in Czech brewer Zatecky Pivovar as it targets demand in Europe for Czech beer.
The Danish group said today (3 April) it has entered into an agreement to take a 51% stake in Zatecky, which owns the Zatec beer brand. Carlsberg plans to roll out Zatec in selected markets across Europe.
A Carlsberg spokesperson told just-drinks no financial details of the tie-up are being disclosed. The spokesperson also said Russia will be a focus of Zatec's export strategy.
Zatecky Pivovar, in the Zatec (Saaz) hops growing region, has a 200,000-hectolitre annual capacity and also brews the gluten-free beer brand Celia.
The Carlsberg spokesperson said the deal will not affect the brewer's ongoing partnerships with other Czech beer brands.
Carlsberg has been distributing beer from Czech brewery Budejovicky Budvar since 2007, in markets including Denmark, Finland and Sweden. Carlsberg also distributes Molson Coors' Staropramen Czech beer in the UK. Meanwhile, Budvar distributes Carlsberg's trademark beer and its Somersby cider in Czech.
Sales of Budvar's flagship lager - Budweiser Budvar Premium - rose by 9% in January’s full-year results as exports drove the brewer to record sales and volumes.
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Key trends for beer in 2016 - Focus
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- The global beer category - The facts
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- SABMiller's Europe chief to join Britvic board
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research