LITHUANIA: Carlsberg launches locally-brewed beer in Lithuania
Carlsberg gained control over the Lithuanian Svyturys brewery in April 1999. Svyturys has fulfilled the technical requirements in order to reach the high quality standards required for brewing the Carlsberg brand. It will be the only locally-produced international premium lager on the Lithuanian market. Surveys show that there is an unsatisfied demand in the segment.
The Carlsberg brand has been available in Lithuania as an import from Copenhagen since 1990.
Lithuanians regard themselves a beer-drinking nation. Beer consumption per capita rose from 34.5 litres in 1995 to 54.8 litres in 1999 and is expected to grow further.
Svyturys is Lithuania's oldest brewery. Today Carlsberg holds 57% of the shares. The two other main investors are The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (19.9%) and Danish-based Investment Fund for Central and Eastern Europe (20.1%). Svyturys, which employs approximately 300 people, is listed on the Vilnius Stock Exchange.
During the first six months of 2000 Svyturys became market leader with a market share of 26% ahead of its two main competitors Utenos (23%) and Kalnapilis (22%).
Carlsberg has finally hooked up with a state-owned Vietnamese brewer....
Carlsberg has entered into negotiations with the IBM Group regarding a possible outsourcing of the Danish brewer's IT services in Europe....
Carlsberg's rating has been lowered following its disappointing Q1 figures earlier this week....
Carlsberg said today that global beer volume showed a 20% increase in the first quarter of the year driven by strong organic growth in BBH as well as a considerable contribution from acquisitions, inc...
Carlsberg has appointed a managing director for its Chinese operations....
Carlsberg has increased its ownership in Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad from 49.66% to 51%. The investment amounts to approximately US$6m....
Dutch brewer Heineken is rumored to have released a self-chilling beer can....
The Bosnian government has put a majority stake in the country's brewery Banjalucka Pivara up for sale. Previous efforts to privatise the brewer have failed....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Anheuser-Busch to cut 60 bottling jobs
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review