LITHUANIA: Carlsberg launches locally-brewed beer in Lithuania
The first locally-brewed Carlsberg beer in bottles and on draught will be officially presented to the Lithuanian market on September 16.Carlsberg gained control over the Lithuanian Svyturys brewery in April 1999. Svyturys has fulfilled the technical requirements in order to reach the high quality standards required for brewing the Carlsberg brand. It will be the only locally-produced international premium lager on the Lithuanian market. Surveys show that there is an unsatisfied demand in the segment.The Carlsberg brand has been available in Lithuania as an import from Copenhagen since 1990. Lithuanians regard themselves a beer-drinking nation. Beer consumption per capita rose from 34.5 litres in 1995 to 54.8 litres in 1999 and is expected to grow further.Svyturys is Lithuania's oldest brewery. Today Carlsberg holds 57% of the shares. The two other main investors are The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (19.9%) and Danish-based Investment Fund for Central and Eastern Europe (20.1%). Svyturys, which employs approximately 300 people, is listed on the Vilnius Stock Exchange.During the first six months of 2000 Svyturys became market leader with a market share of 26% ahead of its two main competitors Utenos (23%) and Kalnapilis (22%).
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends