SWEDEN: Carlsberg launches alcohol-free beer
Carlsberg has launched an alcohol-free beer in Sweden in a fresh move it hopes will revitalise flagging beer sales in the Scandinavian market.
A spokesperson for Carlsberg Sweden said the launch of a 0.5% ABV Carlsberg was a response to demand for lower alcohol beer, especially to drink alongside meals.
She said Carlsberg believed its distribution muscle in Sweden would boost sales of the beer, which is competing against the Norrlandsguld brand, the low-alcohol offering of Swedish brewer Spendrups.
"We have worked hard on making the beer trendy and developing its taste (and) we have seen an enormous response from consumers," she told just-drinks today (26 May).
The launch of the alcohol-free beer was the latest example of Carlsberg using innovation to try to boost sales, she added. "There is very strong interest in all types of speciality beer because the overall market has been flat for a long while."
Carlsberg also recently launched a low-calorie beer in Sweden and in March unveiled DraughtMaster, its home brewing kit to encourage home consumption.
The European Court of Justice yesterday (23 November) ruled that EU consumers can only buy alcohol and cigarettes from other EU countries in person if they are to take advantage of lower duty rates. J...
The European Court of Justice has passed judgement on the excise duty case that has been worrying retailers who target so-called booze cruises....
China has overtaken France in Cognac consumption, according to recent figures....
Diageo is to fund European research into how to stop those who drink-and-drive from becoming repeat offenders....
The investigation into accusations of bribery and scandal at Sweden's state-run alcohol retail monopoly Systembolaget has resulted in the conviction of nine people this week, according to local report...
The state-owned alcohol producer in Russia is looking to produce a cheap vodka for the country, according to local reports....
Baltika Breweries has insisted it has yet to make a decision on whether to set up a greenfield brewery in the Siberian city of Novosibirsk....
Japan's brewers have shifted their focus away from beer to become broad beverage alcohol producers, the president of Sapporo Breweries has said....
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly