DENMARK: Carlsberg hoping for future big buys
The head of Carlsberg has told the Danish press that the company could make some big purchases in the coming years. The comments come in the same week that Carlsberg has confirmed it is looking to close some of its western European breweries.
Speaking to daily newspaper Boersen, Nils Smedegaard Andersen said that the brewer may move to acquire after it has reduced its debt to DKK20bn from the DKK30bn level it had in the spring last year.
"In 3-5 years time it is my guess that we will have made several large transactions," he told the paper. "I have nothing concrete to say about how big and what they are, but we have reduced our debt to a reasonable level. That means we can make acquisitions if the right candidates turn up."
Speaking to just-drinks yesterday (29 September), Carlsberg spokesman Jens Peter Skaarup confirmed that the brewer will close some of its facilities in western Europe, where the mature market has hit Carlsberg hard. Although no fixed plans have been drawn up by the company yet, speculation suggests that up to half of Carlsberg's 29 breweries in the region will shut.
The paper also suggested that an attempt by Scottish & Newcastle to buy Carlsberg out of their eastern European joint venture, Baltic Beverages Holding, could not be excluded.
"At the moment we have nothing to say about this apart from saying that we have a good collaboration," Smedegaard Andersen said.
A clause in the agreement between the two companies means that one shareholder has to offer its stake in BBH to the other first, before buying the other's stake.
"But if S&N tries a shoot-out on us, or if they are bought by someone else, then we must make up our minds about what to do," he said.
Carlsberg has finally hooked up with a state-owned Vietnamese brewer....
Carlsberg's rating has been lowered following its disappointing Q1 figures earlier this week....
Carlsberg said today that global beer volume showed a 20% increase in the first quarter of the year driven by strong organic growth in BBH as well as a considerable contribution from acquisitions, inc...
Scottish & Newcastle and Carlsberg said today that their Eastern European joint venture Baltic Beverage Holdings had seen sales volumes lift 14% in the first quarter of the year, compared to the same ...
Carlsberg has appointed a managing director for its Chinese operations....
Carlsberg has increased its ownership in Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad from 49.66% to 51%. The investment amounts to approximately US$6m....
Baltika has bought into a Siberian brewer....
The Bosnian government has put a majority stake in the country's brewery Banjalucka Pivara up for sale. Previous efforts to privatise the brewer have failed....
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends