GLOBAL: Carlsberg, Heineken S&N purchase at final hurdle
The two Europe-based brewers confirmed earlier today (3 April) that the EC has approved the acquisition of selected S&N assets by Heineken in all EU member states with the exception of The Republic of Ireland. The acquisition by Heineken of S&N's Irish subsidiary, Beamish & Crawford, will be referred to the Irish Competition Authority (ICA) for consideration.
Today's announcement follows approval from the EC in respect of the acquisition of selected S&N assets by Carlsberg, the expiry of the applicable antitrust waiting period in the US, and receipt of approvals from the relevant regulatory authorities in Russia and Ukraine.
"The (Carlsberg and Heineken) consortium confirms that the antitrust conditions to the acquisition of S&N … have now been satisfied and that the referral to the ICA will not delay completion of the acquisition," the two companies said.
The consortium subsequently expects that the purchase will complete on 28 April.
Heineken said that it has fully briefed the ICA on the terms of the acquisition. "(Heineken) expects that the ICA will reach a quick and satisfactory outcome regarding its examination of Heineken's proposed acquisition of Beamish & Crawford," the Dutch brewer said.
Channel 4's Dispatches show ruffled some wine industry feathers last week, but touched on some important issues facing the sector....
The three leading bottled water brands in the UK launched the Natural Hydration Council (NHC) earlier this month. The organisation says it is not a lobby group but aims to research and promote the env...
Some of the drinks industry's biggest names are thought to be eyeing Australian group Foster's, just-drinks understands....
Global Brands has acquired the beer-brand owner Fullback (Imports) Ltd, which is based in Yorkshire. Financial details of the deal were not disclosed....
Brown-Forman has elected John D Cook to the company's board of directors. Cook is a director emeritus of McKinsey & Company, the world's leading management consulting firm....
PepsiCo's main bottling arm, The Pepsi Bottling Group, has signed a deal to acquire fellow Pepsi bottler Lane Affiliated Companies....
Coca-Cola Enterprises has announced that it is working with partners to reduce the weight of drinks cans, saving supplies and reducing its carbon footprint....
Scotch whisky group Whyte & Mackay has said its performance for the year looks "very healthy", offering more evidence that Scotch has bucked an economic downturn....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research