DENMARK: Carlsberg, Heineken reach stalemate with S&N
Following S&N rejecting the latest offer of GBP7.80 per share from the two European brewers, the UK company said last week that it is prepared to meet with the consortium only when a GBP8.00 offer is tabled.
Speaking to just-drinks today (15 January), a spokesperson from Carlsberg agreed that "only dialogue can bring this case closer", but outlined that it plans to stick to its proposed offer, which it described as "very generous, full and fair".
A spokesperson for S&N told just-drinks: "GBP8.00 just about gets you through the door. Adding that the majority of the consortium's improved offer - up from GBP7.50 proposed in November - was eaten up by currency fluctuations between November and this week. GBP8.00 per share is a starting point, it is not a finishing point."
Carlsberg and Heineken have until 21 January to table a formal bid. The deadline, set by the UK Takeover Panel, dictates that Carlsberg and Heineken would not be permitted to table a further bid after the deadline for six months.
"We all know that we are getting closer and closer to the deadline put up by the UK Takeover Panel," added the Carlsberg spokesperson. "We hope that they will realise that what we [the Consortium] represent is certainty. What they [S&N] represent in their proposals, if you can call them that, to their shareholders is uncertainty and risk," the spokesperson continued. "It is certainty Vs uncertainty. Either GBP7.80 per share, or a lower rate."
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included news on V&S and A-B and cost pressures at Cott, whilst whisky dominated the spirits headlines....
Carlsberg has increased its control of Estonian brewer Saku Ölletehas....
The CEO of Asia Pacific Breweries is set to step down from his post....
Carlsberg has completed the sale of three Scandinavian soft drinks and water brands to The Coca-Cola Co....
InBev has confirmed full details of the impending launch of Stella Artois 4% abv in the UK....
Anheuser-Busch is to take complete ownership of its brewing joint venture in India....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Baltika has started exporting its beer brands to Romania and Hungary....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Interview- Veltins export manager Udo Bruns
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages