EUROPE: Carlsberg, Heineken attempt to smooth S&N waves
The two European brewers today (25 October) approached S&N's board with a proposal and a request to meet with S&N to discuss a possible offer. S&N has confirmed that it has rejected the proposal, for a cash offer of GBP7.20 per share, describing it as "unsolicited and derisory".
The Carlsberg and Heineken consortium said that the offer represented a premium of 36% to the share price of GBP5.31 on 28 March, when, the two claimed speculation first arose around a possible offer for S&N. The proposal also offered "a value which is significantly in excess of the standalone independent value of S&N", the European brewers said.
Carlsberg and Heineken also moved to qualify their announcement last week that they were in talks to break up S&N. "It has always been the strong preference of Carlsberg and Heineken to approach the board of S&N in private to explain the proposal in detail in order to secure due diligence access and negotiate a transaction on a recommended basis," the consortium said. "Due to the increase in S&N's share price on Wednesday 17 October, the consortium was obliged under the rules of the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers to publicly confirm its interest in pursuing an offer for S&N.
"Nevertheless, the consortium wishes to confirm its desire to pursue a transaction on a recommended basis."
Speaking to just-drinks earlier this week, when asked about the relationship between S&N Carlsberg, a spokesperson for S&N said: "There's no going back. We're pretty unhappy with our former partner.
"The way this has been handled (by Carlsberg) is entirely inappropriate. Their approach has been both incompetent and dishonourable."
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included stories from Beam Global, The UB Group, LVMH, Danone SABMiller and Heineken....
Heineken shareholders have approved the acquisition by Sunrise Acquisitions, a company jointly owned by Heineken and Carlsberg for the entire share capital of Scottish & Newcastle....
Belvedere has confirmed it has held talks with a major distillery in Russia in an effort to "strengthen its position in the vodka market"....
The European Union has made a plea to the alcoholic drinks industry to stop targeting young people and minors in marketing campaigns....
The head of Beam Global Spirits & Wine has said the company has "a lot of dry powder", and will consider other acquisitions following its failure to capture Vin & Sprit earlier this month....
The head of United Breweries has said that there "shouldn't be any roadblocks" in his company's negotiations with Heineken over a stake in the Indian company....
LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, the world's leading luxury group, said today (16 April) that it had achieved revenues of EUR4 billion (US$6.37bn) in the first quarter of 2008, up 5% on the same peri...
Consolidation has grown among US beer distributors due to rising costs, the need for well-balanced portfolios and broader reach, according to an industry report....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- Concha y Toro sees H1 profits, sales jump - result
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review