UPDATE: Carlsberg “happy” with Baltika conditions
Speaking to just-drinks today (19 March) a spokesperson for Carlsberg described the conditions set out by the FAS as "absolutely okay", adding that the brewer only seeks the green light from the Ukraine now, but that it is optimistic.
Baltika is owned by Baltic Beverage Holdings, the joint venture between Carlsberg and Scottish & Newcastle. Carlsberg is currently attempting to acquire S&N in a deal with Dutch brewer Heineken. As part of the deal, the Danish brewer will take complete control of BBH.
The FAS said that because Carlsberg and Baltika will have a combined share of more than 35% the Russian beer market as a result of the deal there were rules if competition restraints were to be avoided.
Baltika will have to give FAS two months' notice of any planned increases or cuts in its beer prices by more than 10%. Furthermore, Baltika will not be allowed to impose limitations on beer sales or refuse to supply beer on any unjustified economic or technical grounds.
The spokesperson added: "Clearance was already expected because the transaction was structured so that it avoided anti-trust issues. We have clearance already from the European Commission, but we are still waiting for clearance from the Ukraine. We foresee no problems there though, we have a very small market share of just 20%."
Carlsberg has followed Coors Brewers and InBev by upping its beer prices in the UK....
Dutch brewer Heineken has appointed a new head for its Americas division....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Heineken has said it expects a mid-single digit profit rise for 2008, following strong revenue growth and a series of cost savings measures in its first half....
Carlsberg has announced another change of leadership at its recently-acquired Brasseries Kronenbourg operations in France....
Heineken has completed a review of its recently-acquired half of Scottish & Newcastle, and has said it expects higher synergy savings than it previously forecast....
Heineken has been given clearance to proceed with its purchase of Eichhof Holdings' beverage division in Switzerland....
Baltika has strengthened its hand in central Asia by completing the takeover of Azerbaijan's largest brewer, Baku-Castel....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer