DENMARK: Carlsberg gets EU go-ahead for S&N
Carlsberg's bid to take over part of Scottish & Newcastle has been approved by the European Union.
Speaking to just-drinks today (11 March) a spokesperson for Carlsberg confirmed that regulators from the EU said on Friday that there would not be any competition concerns for the Danish brewer as part of its joint bid for S&N with Heineken.
The completion of the GBP7.8bn (US$15.3bn) deal would see Carlsberg acquiring Baltic Beverages Holding and S&N's French, Greek and Chinese operations, while Heineken would take control of its UK, US, Indian and other markets.
Heineken's portion of the deal is still being reviewed, after it has raised anti-trust issue concerns following a referral to the EU from the Irish Competition Authority. Concerns stem from Heineken acquiring Beamish & Crawford in Ireland, potentially creating a duopoly in the Irish on-trade market with Guinness owner Diageo.
Last week, the deadline for Heineken's competition inquiry into its proposed acquisition of S&N's assets was extended from 18 March to 4 April.
Sectors: Beer & cider
Tiger Beer UK has signed a deal with Tequila-flavoured lager Desperados to be the new distributor of the lager in the UK....
Dutch brewer Heineken has appointed a new head for its Americas division....
Efes Breweries International has said net profit halved in the first six months of this year, despite strong revenue gains in the key Russian beer market....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Heineken has completed a joint-venture deal with Efes Breweries International to supply the growing Serbian beer market....
Heineken has said it expects a mid-single digit profit rise for 2008, following strong revenue growth and a series of cost savings measures in its first half....
Beer brand Amstel Light is planning to get interactive with consumers in the US by offering them rebates and recipe ideas for Thanksgiving celebrations....
Carlsberg has announced another change of leadership at its recently-acquired Brasseries Kronenbourg operations in France....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts