DENMARK: Carlsberg follows massive buy with most expensive beer
Hot on the heels of buying Scottish & Newcastle, Danish brewer Carlsberg is reaching prices other lagers can't reach with the world's most expensive beer.
Carlsberg has launched Jacobsen Vintage No. 1, a barley wine-type beer that will sell at DKK2,008 (US$398) a bottle. Only 600 bottles, each carrying a lithographed label by well-known Danish artists Frans Kannik, have been produced. The beer has a strength of 10.5%.
"Vintage No. 1 has been in production for a couple of years and it's a dream project for us. It's been stored for six months in Carlsberg's cellars in new French and Swedish oak barrels," product manager Rune Jessen said. Copenhagen's top restaurants have ordered two or three bottles each. New versions are due to be produced over the next two years for DKK2,009 and DKK2,010 respectively.
Late last year, Carlsberg announced a change at the top, with Jørgen Buhl Rasmussen replacing Nils Smedegaard Andersen as CEO. Ten months into his tenure, Rasmussen has rarely been out of the headline...
In the end, the fall of Anheuser-Busch to a sweetened bid from InBev has been far swifter than most commentators expected. And, after close to 150 years of proud independence, the King of Beers will h...
Carlsberg has taken control of three European beer brands in the UK, following the completion of its purchase of Scottish & Newcastle....
Carlsberg has sold its stakes in two breweries for a combined value of around US$116m....
Scottish & Newcastle has confirmed Sarah Warby as marketing director, following the company's takeover by Heineken UK....
This week InBev and Anheuser continue to keep the pages ticking over on just-drinks. Amongst the other stories at the top of the most read pages were reports on C&C, an interview with Carlsberg's CEO ...
Carlsberg is looking to India as a market in which it is "testing the waters", despite the stronger presence of other global brewers in the market....
Heineken has confirmed that it will restate the profits from its recently-acquired Scottish & Newcastle assets....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research