DENMARK: Carlsberg following S&N "for years" - former CEO
Carlsberg has been pursuing Scottish & Newcastle "for years" ahead of this week's announcement that the Danish brewer is working with Heineken to make a bid for S&N, according to Carlsberg's former CEO.
In an interview with Danish financial daily Boersen yesterday (17 October), Nils Smedegaard Andersen, who left the company at the beginning of this month, said: "We have pursued S&N for years and tried to find the right solution. I think we found the answer in this structure.
"There is always a risk (of a counterbid), but I think there is a good chance that this will be bought at a reasonable price."
Carlsberg and Heineken confirmed yesterday that they are in early talks to make a bid for S&N. "It is currently intended that Carlsberg will ultimately acquire Scottish & Newcastle's interest in (S&N's joint venture with Carlsberg) Baltic Beverages Holding, France and Greece and that Heineken will ultimately assume control of Scottish & Newcastle's business in the UK and other European markets," the brewers said.
"It makes sense to break up S&N like this," Andersen continued. "Therefore I am sure that this will be a good cooperation (with Heineken)."
Andersen left Carlsberg on 1 October to become group CEO of AP Møller-Mærsk. He was replaced by Jørgen Buhl Rasmussen, who told just-drinks in September that the brewer "can't say definitely no or yes" to a potential bid for S&N.
Pernod Ricard's success in landing Absolut vodka has cast doubt over the future of Stolichnaya, currently marketed internationally by Pernod but which the French company will now be looking to offload...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has launched a marketing campaign and package redesign for Sauza Tequila in the US to broaden the variety of serves for the category and reposition it to attract female cons...
Well's & Young has launched a television sponsorship campaign for the Red Stripe beer brand with a cult Channel 4 music show in the UK....
C&C group has launched a television advertising campaign for its Magners Light cider brand to target female consumers in the UK....
Carlsberg has confirmed plans to build two new breweries in India, through its South Asia Breweries joint venture in the country....
Don Sebastiani & Sons is repositioning its two largest volume brands in the US, Smoking Loon and Pepperwood Grove, with the launch of "dramatic" new designs for their packaging....
United Spirits and Bacardi have both denied press speculation that they are in talks over Bacardi buying a stake in the Indian spirits company....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages