VIETNAM: Carlsberg eyes tie-up with Habeco
Carlsberg is hoping to snap up a stake in Vietnamese state-owned brewer Hanoi Beer Company (Habeco).
The Danish brewing giant has registered its interest in buying a 10% stake in Habeco, which is Vietnam's second-largest brewer.
The Vietnamese government is selling 24% of Habeco, with a 10% shareholding being made available to a strategic investor. Another 10% will be made available to the public, while the remaining 4% will be offered to the brewer's employees.
Two years ago, Carlsberg signed a memorandum of understanding with the Vietnamese authorities on future co-operation over Habeco.
A spokesman for Carlsberg in Copenhagen said today (5 February) the brewer is awaiting a decision from the Vietnamese government. He added: "We are crossing our fingers that we will be selected as the strategic partner."
Carlsberg entered Vietnam in 1993 with the acquisition of a 60% stake in South East Asia Brewery, based in the north of the country. The brewer also holds a 50% stake in Hue Brewery, which is based in central Vietnam. Through its investments in the two brewers, Carlsberg enjoys around 10% of the Vietnamese beer market.
Habeco has a market share of around 18% and dominates the northern part of the country, including the country's capital, Hanoi.
Around 15.2m hectolitres of beer are sold in Vietnam each year and consumption is growing at about 8% a year.
Baltic Beverages Holding has posted another healthy leap in sales and profits for its latest quarter....
A local broker has lowered its coverage of Mexican brewer Grupo Modelo....
Carlsberg has denied reports that it will lose momentum in the run-up to finding a replacement CEO for the brewery....
Carlsberg is launching a summer promotion in the UK for its flavoured beer Edge....
Carlsberg's interest in Vin & Sprit should be seen as a way for the company to diversify out of beer and improve its "critical mass in drinks distribution," according to a research note by Dresdner Kl...
Carlsberg has shown an interest in Vin & Sprit, the makers of Absolut vodka, after the Swedish government sanctioned the sale of the wine and spirits company....
Poor weather and the lack of football has hit Scottish & Newcastle's first half in the UK, but the brewer still expects to hit full-year expectations across the group....
Carlsberg stays silent over speculation it plans to bid for Scottish & Newcastle....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages