MYANMAR: Carlsberg eyes growth with Myanmar Golden Star JV deal
Carlsberg will own 51% of the JV
The Danish brewer said today (1 February) that it has signed a “strategic partnership agreement” with Myanmar Golden Star (MGS) Breweries to make and distribute Carlsberg beers in Myanmar. The JV, Myanmar Carlsberg Co, is 51% owned by Carlsberg, according to the brewer.
Carlsberg said tha the time is right to invest in Myanmar, which held by-elections last April as part of a pledge to reform politically.
“We firmly believe that Myanmar is a market that offers great potential and we are looking forward to starting up operations soon." Roy Bagattini, senior VP of Carlsberg Asia Region, said.
Myanmar's per capita beer consumption of four litres a year is far lower than other South-East Asian nations such as Vietnam (31 litres), Thailand (26 litres) and Laos (32 litres), according to Euromonitor figures.
A Carlsberg spokesperson told just-drinks the JV will run along similar lines to the company's distribution partnership with Singha in Thailand. However, Carlsberg “plans to go further ahead” and will build a brewery to manufacture Carlsberg brands.
Bagattini first announced Carlsberg's interest in Myanmar in November when he said the company was “considering various options” in the country.
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
The analysts in this report forecast the Energy Drink market in the US to grow at a CAGR of 12.9 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the inc...
Consumption of fruit/vegetable juice declined in 2012 in both the off-trade and on-trade channels. Off-trade volume sales of fruit/vegetable juice fell by 5% in 2012; a third consecutive year of decli...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report