MYANMAR: Carlsberg eyes growth with Myanmar Golden Star JV deal
Carlsberg will own 51% of the JV
The Danish brewer said today (1 February) that it has signed a “strategic partnership agreement” with Myanmar Golden Star (MGS) Breweries to make and distribute Carlsberg beers in Myanmar. The JV, Myanmar Carlsberg Co, is 51% owned by Carlsberg, according to the brewer.
Carlsberg said tha the time is right to invest in Myanmar, which held by-elections last April as part of a pledge to reform politically.
“We firmly believe that Myanmar is a market that offers great potential and we are looking forward to starting up operations soon." Roy Bagattini, senior VP of Carlsberg Asia Region, said.
Myanmar's per capita beer consumption of four litres a year is far lower than other South-East Asian nations such as Vietnam (31 litres), Thailand (26 litres) and Laos (32 litres), according to Euromonitor figures.
A Carlsberg spokesperson told just-drinks the JV will run along similar lines to the company's distribution partnership with Singha in Thailand. However, Carlsberg “plans to go further ahead” and will build a brewery to manufacture Carlsberg brands.
Bagattini first announced Carlsberg's interest in Myanmar in November when he said the company was “considering various options” in the country.
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research