DENMARK: Carlsberg exits Foster's assets race
Jesper Madsen, the head of Carlsberg's operations in Asia, told just-drinks that the brewer had looked at the remaining Foster's assets up for sale in India and Vietnam but had decided not to pursue its interest. "We're not involved (in the bidding)," Madsen said, although he refused to outline why.
Carlsberg, which has brewing operations in Asian countries including China, Vietnam, Laos and Malaysia has lowered its ambitious target of becoming the largest brewer on the continent by 2010.
Madsen admitted that Carlsberg would have been "stretched" to achieve that goal, which had become "more challenging" since it sold its stake in South Korean brewer Hite earlier this month.
He said: "You don't need to be in Korea to have a coherent Asian strategy. We still have a good, healthy business in Asia. A pan-Asian brewer hardly exists except for Carlsberg and maybe Asia Pacific Breweries. From a penetration point of view, Carlsberg is probably number one in Asia but we don't have a Tsingtao or Asahi-type brewery to take us to the top (of the rankings)."
Despite its wide presence in Asia, Carlsberg has found a way to enter the fast-growing Indian beer market. Madsen said that Carlsberg had "identified certain potential players we could work with" - but declined to go into details.
Carlsberg's Asian volumes leapt 28% to 7.6m hectolitres last year, driven by acquisitions in western China. Organic volumes were up 5%.
Baltic Beverages Holding has made its first direct investment into Belarus with the purchase of a 30% stake in local beer maker Olivaria Brewery....
Kirin Brewery Co. is aiming to boost operating profit by at least 28% in the next three years by focusing on growth in its overseas operations, non-beer alcohol and soft drink businesses....
Australia's wine industry has formed a taskforce in an attempt to reduce the impact of this year's drought on the industry....
Japanese beer maker Kirin Brewery Co. is to buy a 25% stake in China's Hangzhou Qiandaohu Brewery Co. in a deal worth JPY4.5bn (US$38.1m)....
Asahi Breweries is targeting a slight increase on its forecast sales volumes for next year....
Asahi Breweries has handed the responsibility of selling and distributing flagship brand Asahi Super Dry in the UK over to local partner Shepherd Neame....
Carlsberg has admitted that it has opened a sales office in Bosnia....
Carlsberg has refused to be drawn on reports that it is looking to set up a business in Bosnia....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report