DENMARK/CHINA: Carlsberg edges to Chongqing Brewery Co completion
Carlsberg gets worker support for Chongqing Brewery deal
Carlsberg has moved a step closer to taking a 30% stake in China's Chongqing Brewery, after the deal was endorsed by the firm's workers' committee.
Employee representatives have this week backed Carlsberg in its agreement to acquire a further 12.25% share of Chongqing Brewery Co (CBC) for RMB2.4bn (US$351m).
The endorsement follows official support from CBC's minority shareholders, who voted for the deal at a meeting on 5 July, a Carlsberg spokesperson told just-drinks today (29 July).
However, the deal, which was announced in June and will increase Carlsberg's ownership of CBC to 29.71%, still needs the approval of regulatory authorities in China.
Carlsberg said it could not provide an estimate on when the process will be complete.
CBC operates 15 breweries and is the market leader in China's Chongqing province. Carlsberg inherited an interest in the brewer following its share of the takeover of Scottish & Newcastle in 2008.
For a more in-depth look at Carlsberg's growing presence in Asia, click here.
One of the first signs of madness, I was always told, is talking to yourself. If that's the case, then Larry Nelson may have finally lost it. Before we cart him off, though, let's listen in on his and...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends