INDIA: Carlsberg considers backing Indian football - report
Carlsberg is pondering an investment in Indian football, according to local reports.
Carlsberg told local reporters on Saturday (22 September) during the India launch of the beer that it has always had an association with sports and things won't be any different in India.
Carlsberg sponsors both Liverpool Football Club and the English football team as well as being one of the partners of the Football Association and title sponsoring the Euro 2009 tournament.
Joakim Sande, marketing director at Carlsberg's Indian joint venture South Asia Breweries, was cited as saying: "Everyone in this country is running after cricket but we would like to stick to football. We have seen that the game is immensely popular in places like Kolkata and Goa and we will also look to invest in football clubs or sponsor tournaments in these two places in future."
For the past few years, Bangalore-based United Breweries has been sponsoring Kolkata giants East Bengal and Mohun Bagan, local reports noted.
The brewer, which acquired its first brewery in the country in May through South Asia Breweries, is thought to be preparing to acquire a 60% share of West Bengal-based Parag. The stake would cost South Asia Breweries, which Carlsberg operates with Sri Lanka's Lion Brewery Ceylon, in the region of INR320m.
No-one was immediately available for confirmation at Carlsberg when contacted by just-drinks today.
The deadline for the second round of bids for Vin & Sprit (V&S) has been set....
Carlsberg has said it is "very happy" with the conditions set by the Russian competition commission (FAS) regarding its plans to acquire complete control of the country's brewer Baltika....
The Russian competition commission (FAS) has given the green light to Carlsberg's plan to acquire complete control of the country's brewer Baltika. However, there were conditions....
Baltika has confirmed a marked lift in its full-year dividend payment to shareholders....
Carlsberg's bid to take over part of Scottish & Newcastle has been approved by the European Union....
The proposed acquisition of Scottish & Newcastle by joint bidders Heineken and Carlsberg has raised anti-trust issue concerns following a referral from the Irish Competition Authority to the European ...
Heineken's deadline for its proposed acquisition of Scottish & Newcastle assets has been extended by the European Commission....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US
- Carbonates in India