DENMARK: Carlsberg confirms Budvar talks
The Danish brewing giant said today (18 January) that the brewers are in the middle of negotiations over a distribution deal.
Reports in the Czech newspaper Hospodarske Noviny said Carlsberg is looking to act as distributor for the Budvar brand in Scandinavia and Croatia.
However, a Carlsberg spokesman refused to comment on where the brewer would like to handle Budvar. "As the talks haven't come to a conclusion, we can't tell what the conclusion will be," the spokesman said.
A spokesman for Budvar confirmed that talks are taking place but declined to go into details about the negotiations.
Earlier this month, Budejovicky Budvar, signed a US import deal with long-time foe Anheuser-Busch. The two brewers have been fighting over the rights to the Budweiser trademark in countries around the world for almost a century.
In the US, where A-B owns the Budweiser name, Budvar's brand is sold as Czechvar. A similar arrangement would also be in place should Carlsberg become the brand's distributor in Scandinavia, where A-B also controls the Budweiser name.
US brewing giant Anheuser-Busch is embroiled in a clash with the Wisconsin-based craft brewer Capital Brewery Company over the latter's attempts to trademark the phrase "America's No. 1 Rated Brewery"...
Carlsberg is launching a summer promotion in the UK for its flavoured beer Edge....
Budejovicky Budvar has sold 11% more beer in H1 than last year, according to reports....
Carlsberg's interest in Vin & Sprit should be seen as a way for the company to diversify out of beer and improve its "critical mass in drinks distribution," according to a research note by Dresdner Kl...
Crown Beers India, the joint venture between Anheuser-Busch and Crown International, has launched a new locally-produced Budweiser in India....
Carlsberg has shown an interest in Vin & Sprit, the makers of Absolut vodka, after the Swedish government sanctioned the sale of the wine and spirits company....
Poor weather and the lack of football has hit Scottish & Newcastle's first half in the UK, but the brewer still expects to hit full-year expectations across the group....
Carlsberg stays silent over speculation it plans to bid for Scottish & Newcastle....
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research