ITALY: Carlsberg chief leaves amid wholesale problems
Carlsberg has seen the head of its Italian business leave the company amid "tough" conditions in the country's beer market, the brewer said today (15 January).
Carlsberg Italia CEO Claudio Riva has left the company and been replaced by Boguslaw Bartczak, a senior executive from the brewer's Western European operations.
Bartczak, who joined Carlsberg in Poland six years ago, has been the brewer's vice president for business development since February last year.
Alex Myers, senior vice president for Carlsberg in the region, refused to go into the personal reasons for Riva's departure but said the brewer has faced challenges at the wholesale level over the last three years.
"Bartczak's background in operations, logistics, route-to-market and the supply chain will help the business a lot," Myers told just-drinks. "The Italian market has been challenging and we have found some pressure at the wholesale level. While we have seen improvements, there is some way to go."
Carlsberg, which has two breweries in Italy, holds around 10% of the market and is one of the top four brewers in Italy, Myers said. He declined to give figures on Carlsberg's sales in Italy.
Last week, Heineken said it would close a bottling site on the island of Sicily. The Dutch brewing giant said that some 50 jobs are under threat.
Heineken NV has appointed of Stefan Orlowski as group commerce director, effective 1 October 1, 2007...
Carlsberg is launching a summer promotion in the UK for its flavoured beer Edge....
Carlsberg's interest in Vin & Sprit should be seen as a way for the company to diversify out of beer and improve its "critical mass in drinks distribution," according to a research note by Dresdner Kl...
Carlsberg has shown an interest in Vin & Sprit, the makers of Absolut vodka, after the Swedish government sanctioned the sale of the wine and spirits company....
UBS has increased its 2007 growth estimates for Heineken. However, in a research note the investment bank said it was maintaining its "neutral 1" rating on the Dutch brewer....
Poor weather and the lack of football has hit Scottish & Newcastle's first half in the UK, but the brewer still expects to hit full-year expectations across the group....
Carlsberg stays silent over speculation it plans to bid for Scottish & Newcastle....
Carlsberg has lined up a range of wines exclusively for the UK on-trade....
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends