DENMARK: Carlsberg calms Vin & Sprit pull-out talk
The Danish brewer said last week that it was "considering" its position on the pending sales process. But local reports yesterday (20 December) claimed that the company has given up plans to bid in the auction for the Swedish state-owned drinks company.
A report in Danish daily Jyllands Posten said yesterday that Carlsberg has not been contacted by the Swedish government yet. The country's financial markets minister, Mats Odell, has reportedly sent over 30 letters to companies that the Government believes would be interested in acquiring V&S.
When contacted by just-drinks today, however, a spokesperson for Carlsberg confirmed that the brewer had not received one of the letters, but quelled speculation suggesting that this meant Carlsberg was no longer interested in V&S.
"Nothing has changed since we last talked," the spokesperson said. Last week, the spokesperson told just-drinks: "We are still considering whether some parts of Vin & Sprit might be interesting for Carlsberg."
The spokesperson today continued: "We don't know if the letters have been sent out yet. The journalist jumped to his own conclusion on the matter."
Other parties thought to be interested in V&S include Bacardi, Diageo, Fortune Brands and Pernod Ricard. No-one was immediately available at Diageo or Pernod to confirm whether they had received their letters or not, when contacted by just-drinks today.
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Baltika has started exporting its beer brands to Romania and Hungary....
Carlsberg is looking to spend in the region of DKK1bn (US$207.5m) on centralising its business model in Western Europe....
Carlsberg has hailed the success of the 'fan zones' at this year's Euro 2008 football tournament in Austria and Switzerland....
Diageo has appointed Debra Kelly-Ennis, currently chief marketing officer of Diageo North America, as president of Diageo Canada, with effect from 1 September, 2008....
Diageo and the Flavored Malt Beverage Coalition have filed a suit against California's Board of Equalization challenging regulations that will reclassify flavoured beer as a distilled spirit, increasi...
Diageo is to launch the first ad campaign in the UK for its premium gin brand, Tanqueray, in July....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review