DENMARK: Carlsberg buys stake in Cambodia brewer
Carlsberg has acquired a 50% interest in Cambrew Ltd, the Cambodian brewer based in Sihanoukville on the country's west coast.
Cambrew has a total capacity of 450,000 hectolitres and holds a 45% market share in Cambodia. The brewery owns the Angkor Beer brand, named after the famous temple Angkor Wat.
"The potential for growth in the Cambodian beer market is significant as the beer consumption per capita is only about 6 litres per year, which is below the level in the neighbouring countries," a statement said. "Here the average consumption is 12-22 litres per capita per year."
"The acquisition is a further step in fulfilling Carlsberg's strategy to enhance the strong position in South East Asia, where Carlsberg is already present via shareholdings in Laos, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam."
In Vietnam, Carlsberg recently signed a so-called letter of memorandum regarding a strategic cooperation with Hanoi Brewery (Habeco).
Financial details for the Cambrew acquisition were not disclosed.
Carlsberg has finally hooked up with a state-owned Vietnamese brewer....
Carlsberg has entered into negotiations with the IBM Group regarding a possible outsourcing of the Danish brewer's IT services in Europe....
Carlsberg's rating has been lowered following its disappointing Q1 figures earlier this week....
Carlsberg said today that global beer volume showed a 20% increase in the first quarter of the year driven by strong organic growth in BBH as well as a considerable contribution from acquisitions, inc...
Carlsberg has appointed a managing director for its Chinese operations....
Carlsberg has increased its ownership in Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad from 49.66% to 51%. The investment amounts to approximately US$6m....
Dutch brewer Heineken is rumored to have released a self-chilling beer can....
The Bosnian government has put a majority stake in the country's brewery Banjalucka Pivara up for sale. Previous efforts to privatise the brewer have failed....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages