DENMARK: Carlsberg beer supplies halted by strike
Staff beer protest comes to a head
Carlsberg beer supplies are under pressure after staff at the firm's main Danish brewery went on strike over plans to restrict access to beer while at work.
Around 250 workers have gone on strike at Carlsberg's Copenhagen brewery as a result of the new beer policy, a company spokesperson confirmed to just-drinks today (9 April).
"We are currently unable to supply customers in Copenhagen and Finland", said the spokesperson.
Staff have been angered by Carlsberg's decision to implement an alcohol policy, which will see the availability of free beer restricted to the brewery canteen in lunch hours.
Workers previously had access to chilled bottles of beer in several locations around the brewery.
"There were beers all over the place, but of course staff were not allowed to be drunk at work," said the Carlsberg spokesperson.
"We decided that it would be inappropriate not to have an alcohol policy," he said, adding that more than 90% of Danish businesses already have policies in place.
A further 800 staff, including lorry drivers, began a "sympathy strike" with the Copenhagen workers on Wednesday, but this has since ended, Carlsberg said.
The brewer is hoping for a swift end to the dispute, which it does not expect to result in material costs.
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts