UK: Carlsberg backs Tuborg abv cut with redesign
Click through to view Tuborg's new packaging
Carlsberg is to support its lower-abv Tuborg with new packaging for the beer range in the UK.
The redesign, which covers bottles and cans from this month, will also include a new tap handle and branded glassware, the Danish brewer said yesterday (23 June). The move follows April's announcement that Tuborg is to lower its abv from 4.6% to 4% for the UK market.
“Tuborg’s new positioning will significantly strengthen licensees’ offer in (the 4%) segment,” said David Scott, director of brands and insight at Carlsberg UK.
The new branding will be on show at live music events in the UK, including Glastonbury, Hard Rock Calling, Wireless and Reading, Carlsberg said.
A Carlsberg spokesperson told just-drinks the new packaging is part of a global roll out that started in Russia and China last year. “Two years ago we relaunched the Carlsberg brand all at the same time in about 140 markets,” the spokesperson said. “With Tuborg we are launching it market by market.”
The spokesperson added that the timing of the redesign in the UK is “a good opportunity to reposition it in the right category".
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read analyses on just-drinks in 2013....
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research