THAILAND: Carlsberg announces distribution JV with Singha Corporation
Carlsberg will distribute Singha brands internationally
Carlsberg will distribute its brands in Thailand through a new JV with Singha Corporation, the brewer of Singha Beer.
The deal will also see Singha Beer exported through Carlsberg's international distribution network, the Danish brewer said today (28 September). The agreement does not replace any previous distribution agreement, a spokesperson for Carlsberg told just-drinks.
Singha said the partnership will boost its beer brands outside of Thailand, where it is market leader. “Our strategic partnership with Carlsberg has potential to open doors for Singha to new markets, particularly in Europe where we see plenty of untapped potential for our brands,” said Singha Corp senior VP Sudhabodi Sattabusya.
The JV will be responsible for marketing and sales as well as distribution of Carlsberg brands in Thailand, Carlsberg said, adding: “The Thai beer market represents a great opportunity.”
"Short term our aim is to continue the early successful launch of Carlsberg and scale up," the spokesperson said. "Long term objectives are to look for common opportunities across the Carlsberg world. This could be further launch of Carlsberg brands in Thailand or Singha being distributed by Carlsberg where we have a leading market position."
No financial details were disclosed.
A Carlsberg JV with Thai drinks group Khun Charoen/Chang Beverages fell apart in 2003 over the assets Carlsberg expected its Asian partner to contribute. Two years later, Carlsberg paid the Thai company US$120m to settle legal wranglings over the split.
This second part of the management briefing for March looks at the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats for drinks companies in the area of logistics for drinks companies in Russia....
Earlier today (4 March), Carlsberg announced its intention to up its stake and take control of Chongqing Brewery in China. Here's a closer look at Carlsberg's presence in China, and Chongqing's positi...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research