MEXICO: Carlsberg and Modelo agree Mexican deal
The agreement grants Grupo Modelo, the country's leading brewer, exclusive rights to sell the Club bottle in the Mexican market for the next five years. Financial details were not disclosed.
"This is an excellent opportunity to expand our portfolio of imported beers in Mexico with a high class European beer and strengthen the leadership that we have in the segment. The import category has achieved interesting growths in the latest years, as such, our participation in this segment is increasingly important and relevant to offer our Mexican consumers a larger option of beer products", said Carlos Fernández, chairman and CEO of Grupo Modelo.
"Mexico is a new and prosperous market for Carlsberg. The Mexican consumers prefer quality beer and we are convinced that we have chosen the right partner to introduce them to Carlsberg. Furthermore, we see Corona and Carlsberg as two brands matching each other very well. Thus both breweries will benefit from this distribution agreement," says Nils Andersen, president and CEO at Carlsberg.
The head of Scottish & Newcastle is to visit Copenhagen, the home of Carlsberg, tomorrow (23 November) to re-outline his attempts to defend the brewer from Carlsberg and Heineken's takeover attempt....
Carlsberg has declined to comment on a call from a Scottish & Newcastle shareholder for the Danish brewer to give further details on the brewers' joint venture in Eastern Europe....
Carlsberg and Heineken have dismissed Scottish & Newcastle's trading update yesterday (20 November) as "unconvincing"....
The likelihood of a union between InBev and Anheuser-Busch has become a stronger possibility, following SABMiller's acquisition of Grolsch, according to a drinks analyst....
Grupo Modelo has extended its distribution agreement with Molson Coors Brewing in Canada....
Scottish & Newcastle has said that it has made "good progress" in its core markets, despite poor weather during the summer....
Carlsberg Polska is preparing to enter the wine market in Poland this month, according to local reports....
SABMiller has declined to comment on speculation suggesting the brewer is out of the Scottish & Newcastle frame, following its plans to acquire Grolsch....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part II: Beer & Cider
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018