RUSSIA: Carlsberg alleviates Russian growth fears
Carlsberg Breweries A/S has indicated that it believes the much-feared slowdown in the Russian beer market is not as severe as previously believed.
In an interview with the news agency Dow Jones, Carlsberg chief executive Nils Smedegaard said the company saw "a clear growth trend in 2003."
A series of lower-than-expected growth forecasts for the Russian beer market, including one from Carlsberg subsidiary Baltika at the end of last year, cast a shadow over the targets of a number of producers.
"We first predicted between 10% and 13% growth, but in the first half of 2002 we started seeing growth sometimes of 40%. But it turned out this was stockpiling by wholesalers," Andersen said.
"Then we saw a decline in the third quarter, partly also due the cold weather coming on sooner. But we still expect 10%-12% growth last year," he said.
He went on to say that while demand may not continue to surge in the way it has done in the last few years, he expected growth to remain healthy and well ahead of Western Europe.
Carlsberg Breweries controls Baltika through Baltic Beverage Holdings, a 50-50 joint venture with the UK brewer Scottish & Newcastle.
Carlsberg said today that global beer volume showed a 20% increase in the first quarter of the year driven by strong organic growth in BBH as well as a considerable contribution from acquisitions, inc...
Carlsberg has appointed a managing director for its Chinese operations....
Carlsberg has increased its ownership in Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad from 49.66% to 51%. The investment amounts to approximately US$6m....
Baltika has bought into a Siberian brewer....
The Bosnian government has put a majority stake in the country's brewery Banjalucka Pivara up for sale. Previous efforts to privatise the brewer have failed....
Hite Brewery Co. has signed a preliminary agreement to acquire Jinro....
Carlsberg Sverige is looking to introduce a lemon-flavoured beer to the Swedish market....
South Korea's anti-trust watchdog is to check Hite Brewery's claims to soju maker Jinro, following its victory in last week's auction....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages