DENMARK: Carlsberg acquires Indian brewery
Carlsberg has confirmed its acquisition of Parag breweries in Kolkata and declared plans to become the leader in India's domestic premium beer market.
Speaking to just-drinks today (25 September), a spokesperson for the Danish brewer confirmed that Carlsberg is awaiting government approval for the purchase of the Kolkata-based Parag brewery. "We do not know how long this approval will take, but it is all going ahead," the spokesperson said. No financial details were given, with the spokesperson declining to say when approval is expected.
Local reports last week suggested that the purchase will cost South Asia Breweries, Carlsberg's joint venture in the country with Sri Lanka's Lion Brewery Ceylon, in the region of INR320m (US$7.9m).
Carlsberg recently acquired Himneel brewery in Himachal Pradesh, which has a capacity of 150,000 hl and possibilities for expansion. The construction of a greenfield brewery with an initial capacity of 450,000 hl in the state of Rajasthan, south-west of Delhi, will be completed in Q1 2008, said the company.
Last weekend, the brewer launched All Malt Premium Beer in India. The company said that it aims to establish the brand as a leading in Northern India and gradually roll the beer out in other parts of the nation.
The deadline for the second round of bids for Vin & Sprit (V&S) has been set....
Carlsberg has said it is "very happy" with the conditions set by the Russian competition commission (FAS) regarding its plans to acquire complete control of the country's brewer Baltika....
The Russian competition commission (FAS) has given the green light to Carlsberg's plan to acquire complete control of the country's brewer Baltika. However, there were conditions....
Baltika has confirmed a marked lift in its full-year dividend payment to shareholders....
Carlsberg's bid to take over part of Scottish & Newcastle has been approved by the European Union....
The proposed acquisition of Scottish & Newcastle by joint bidders Heineken and Carlsberg has raised anti-trust issue concerns following a referral from the Irish Competition Authority to the European ...
Heineken's deadline for its proposed acquisition of Scottish & Newcastle assets has been extended by the European Commission....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages