CHINA: Carlsberg acquires Chinese brewer
Carlsberg Asia made the acquisition through its subsidiary Carlsberg Brewery Hong Kong, purchasing the entire share capital of the Kunming Huashi Brewery Company from the Zhejiang K.K. Group.
The brewery is situated in Kunming, the biggest city of the Yunnan province in the south western part of China, bordering Vietnam, Laos and Myanmar.
The Kunming brewery has about 600 employees and a capacity of 600,000hl beer. Carlsberg said the brewery offers "growth possibilities in a province with a population of 43 million with a yearly per capita beer consumption of only 4.2 litres."
The average per capita consumption in China is 18 litres. The Yunnan province is developing a tourist industry which also increases the possibilities of boosting beer consumption.
Carlsberg Brewery Hong Kong already owns 99% of the Huizhou brewery in the southern Guangdong province and 25% of Tsingtao Beer Shanghai Ltd.
The Chinese beer market is around 235 million hl dominated by local brands. The Carlsberg brand is among the leading international beer brands.
The acquisition is subject to the approval of Chinese authorities.
Carlsberg has finally hooked up with a state-owned Vietnamese brewer....
Carlsberg has entered into negotiations with the IBM Group regarding a possible outsourcing of the Danish brewer's IT services in Europe....
Carlsberg's rating has been lowered following its disappointing Q1 figures earlier this week....
Carlsberg said today that global beer volume showed a 20% increase in the first quarter of the year driven by strong organic growth in BBH as well as a considerable contribution from acquisitions, inc...
Carlsberg has appointed a managing director for its Chinese operations....
Carlsberg has increased its ownership in Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad from 49.66% to 51%. The investment amounts to approximately US$6m....
Dutch brewer Heineken is rumored to have released a self-chilling beer can....
The Bosnian government has put a majority stake in the country's brewery Banjalucka Pivara up for sale. Previous efforts to privatise the brewer have failed....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- Diageo gets 2016 off to a strong start - Analysis
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- The US is "the first place I look" - Diageo CEO
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research