S AFRICA: Cape wines ease ahead in UK off-trade
South Africa has moved up a place in the table of UK off-trade wine sales, according to recent figures. Mike Paul, chairman of the Wines of South Africa's UK Importers Committee said yesterday that the country had leapfrogged Italy into fourth place.
The value of South African wines in the UK off-trade rose year-on-year to August from 9.4% to 10.1%. Italy fell back by 0.1% to 10%.
Volume-wise, however, South Africa remained in fourth place, growing from 9.7% to 10.2%. Italy's volumes fell from 11.7% last year to 11.2% this year, while the US rose from 10.7% to 13.1%. Australia remained top, moving up from 20.2% to 20.5%.
South Africa's aim of topping 500,000 cases of wine a year - at over £5 a bottle - by 2005 had been met by June this year having climbed from 200,000 in 2003 and only 154,000 cases in 2002, Paul said.
The imported premium vodka, Svedka, is without doubt a brand success story in the dynamic US premium vodka market. But its raunchy advertising has ridden roughshod over industry rules causing concern ...
Cosentino Signature Wines is looking to raise over GBP10m from its impending stock market float....
Napa Valley's Cosentino Signature Wineries plans to raise US$30m by listing on London's AIM market this month....
UK off-licence retail group Unwins is planning to float its Phillips Newman subsidiary on the Aim stock market, and then plans to float itself on the Aim market, according to the Daily Telegraph....
The European Commission has opened a formal investigation into a planned €7.425m-subsidy package planned by the Dutch government into its country's malt sector. ...
The Swedish state-run alcohol retailer Systembolaget is to set up a subsidiary whose aim will be to cut alcohol consumption, the local press reported today (6 May)....
The UK brewer Young & Co.'s has proposed simplify its share structure, in a plan that is expected to provide greater liquidity in its voting shares....
Danone and Yakult have announced a joint venture to sell probiotic products in India. The move marks the first entrance by either company into the Indian market, in which they are aiming to become lea...
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- English Gin Breaks Away From its Core Markets
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Wine in the United Kingdom