CANADA: Canadian Heritage and Industry Canada Approve Proposed Business Combination of Vivendi, Seagram and Canal+
Vivendi (NYSE:V) and The Seagram Company Ltd. (NYSE:VO) announced today that they have obtained approval relating to the proposed strategic business combination among Vivendi, Seagram and Canal+ from the Minister of Canadian Heritage and the Minister of Industry Canada, as required under the Investment Canada Act. The parties have also received antitrust clearances for the transaction from the European Commission, appropriate U.S. antitrust authorities and the Canadian Competition Bureau. In addition, the French audiovisual authority (CSA) has indicated that it would not oppose the transaction. The Seagram Company Ltd., headquartered in Montreal, operates in four global business segments: Music, Filmed Entertainment, Recreation and Other, and Spirits and Wine. Universal Music Group, the world's largest recorded music company, produces, markets and distributes recorded music throughout the world in all major genres, and it is engaged in music publishing. The Company's Filmed Entertainment business produces and distributes motion picture, television and home video products worldwide; operates and has ownership in a number of international cable channels; and engages in the licensing of merchandising rights and film property rights. The Recreation and Other business operates theme parks and retail stores. It is also involved in the development of entertainment software. The Spirits and Wine business is engaged principally in the production and marketing of distilled spirits, wines, coolers, beers and mixers throughout more than 190 countries and territories. The Company's corporate website is located at
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits