UK: CAMRA attacks Carlsberg brewery closure
The Campaign for Real Ale is seeking a meeting with Carlsberg UK over the group's plans to close its brewery in Leeds.
Carlsberg UK announced it last week that it planned to close the Leeds Tetley brewery by 2011, reflecting a shrinking beer market in the country.
Bob Stukins, vice chairman of the Campaign for Real Ale, called the decision "short-sighted", despite the challenges facing the industry.
He said: "Brewed outside their Leeds heartland I fear they would lack the provenance which today's discerning consumers expect. Recent statistics clearly show that real ale is performing better than other beer styles in a declining market. There is an opportunity to respond to this, invest in the Tetley brands and bring them back to glory."
Speaking to just-drinks last week, Carlsberg UK's marketing director, Darran Britton, said that the brewer would hope to find "a suitable partner in Yorkshire (for Tetley's), but if not in the north, then certainly in the UK".
He said Tetley's was a "critical part" of the Carlsberg UK business going forward.
Concerns over health and drink-driving are fostering growth in the low- and non-alcohol beer categories. Spiros Malandrakis, drinks analyst at Euromonitor International, assesses the progress and pote...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Baltika Breweries, Russia's leading brewer and subsidiary of Carlsberg, has reported a 5% rise in net sales and an 18% rise in net profits for the first quarter of 2009....
Carlsberg has reported a 1% rise in like-for-like sales in the first quarter of 2009 and has reiterated its full-year sales and profits guidance....
Carlsberg UK is to make its Baltika No 7 beer available to the UK on- and off-trade for the first time from May....
Carlsberg UK has launched a GBP7m (US$10.2m) marketing initiative for its recently acquired San Miguel beer brand....
Heineken has secured finance to cover debt repayments for the next three years, but analysts believe the Scottish & Newcastle acquisition will continue to "drag" on the brewer's earnings....
Carlsberg has upped its stake in its Chinese partner in the Xinjiang province of the country....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets