US: Campari to bring Appleton US distribution in-house
Campari acquired the Appleton rum portfolio last year
Davide Campari-Milano has announced the switch of marketing and distribution for the recently-acquired Appleton Rum brands in the US from Kobrand Corporation to its US division.
Campari America will take charge of the Appleton portfolio from Kobrand, which took over the brands in 2008, as of 1 March, Campari said today (15 February). The Italy-based spirits firm acquired the rums as part of the Lascelles deMercado & Co transaction that closed at the end of last year.
In return for terminating the existing deal, Campari said it will pay Kobrand US$20m. A spokesperson for Campari America declined to detail how much longer is left on Kobrand's contract, when contacted by just-drinks.
Currently, Campari-owned distribution of the Lascelles deMercado stable, which also includes Wray & Nephew and Coruba rums, is limited to Jamaica and the UK.
“Looking forward,” the Italian firm said, “Campari is poised to benefit significantly from taking distribution in other key markets.”
Campari's CEO, Bob Kunze-Concewitz, added: “(Owned distribution) will allow us to further leverage our strong distribution capabilities as well as to entirely capture the brand contribution in the highly strategic US market.”
Carbonated Soft Drinks in Italy industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also conta...
Earlier today (6 August), Campari released its half-year results. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the company's performance in the period by region and by brand....
- Analysis - Stock Spirits: Poland's number one
- What's on the M&A cards for San Miguel Brewery?
- A-B InBev's Move on Tennent's Super Makes Sense
- Change Your Name Before It's Too Late
- Interview - PepsiCo chief scientific officer
- Pernod Ricard's Café de Paris Pear, Pomegranate
- PepsiCo CEO sees "profound" change in US consumers
- First Drinks becomes William Grant UK
- William Grant & Sons boosts Travel Retail team
- Pernod takes 84% stake in Avion Spirits