GLOBAL: Campari agrees Aperol tie-up with Manchester United FC
The aperitif brand will be Manchester United's official spirits sponsor
Gruppo Campari's Italian aperitif brand Aperol is to become the official global spirits sponsor of Manchester United Football Club.
The drinks firm has signed a deal for the tie-up to start from 1 January next year, it revealed after yesterday's first-half results. “This is a huge franchise that has a huge global following... and will give Aperol a very nice boost in terms of visibility,” Campari's CEO Bob Kunze-Concewitz told analysts on a conference call. More details of the link-up would be revealed later in the year, he added.
Aperol suffered in Campari's H1 as poor weather in Europe dragged its sales down by 10%. The 11% abv brand has also been affected by a commercial dispute in Germany with a “key” retailer, Campari said without giving details. Aperol's main markets are Italy, Germany and Austria, according to Campari's website.
Gruppo Campari's CEO has revealed that Aperol's sponsorship deal with Manchester United FC is part of a second stage of targeted international growth for the liqueur brand, after initial success in Eu...
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020