USA: California Wine Industry Threatened by Vine Disease; Small Insect Poses Danger to Napa Valley Warns the October 15th Issue of Wine Spectator
Pierce's disease has been lurking in California's vineyards for more than a century, spread by another insect called the blue-green sharpshooter. Over the years, the disease remained a minor problem because the blue-green sharpshooter is a relatively feeble bug. The glassy-winged sharpshooter which first made its appearance in southern California about 10 years ago, is bigger, stronger and more voracious than its blue-green relative causing the spread of Pierce's disease to suddenly accelerate, with no end in sight.
The insect has already infested 11 California counties, including Sacramento, just 70 miles east of Napa Valley. In late July, a single glassy-winged sharpshooter was trapped in the small town of Middletown...less than a dozen miles from the vineyards of Napa and Sonoma.
Robert Dowell, the chief entomologist for the California Department of Food and Agriculture, told Wine Spectator that "we're feeling like we're sitting on a time bomb...the problem is no one knows where the bomb is, and nobody knows how fast it is ticking, and nobody knows how much time is left." Wine Spectator cautions that if the dire predictions about the spread of the disease come true, the Golden State's wine industry may face setbacks for many years to come.
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China