US: California wine harvest set to fall
California wine harvest to fall 12%
California's wine grape harvest is set to be 12% lower this year, according to the California Wine Institute.
The 2010 harvest is likely to be 3.3m tonnes, 6% lower than the forecast in August and 12% down on 2009, said the Institute, citing estimates from the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
A lower harvest should help to relieve pressure on the sector as consumer sentiment in the US has remained subdued.
Sales of domestically-produced wine in the US rose by almost 2% in volume in 2009 to 222.7m nine-litre cases, according to Beverage Information Group figures. California accounts for more than 90% of wine production in the US.
California-based Constellation Brands said last month that it gained confidence on US wine market trends in its fiscal second quarter.
"During the quarter, we experienced improving US wine depletion trends and retail execution despite an uncertain consumer and competitive environment," said Constellation's CEO Rob Sands.
Crown Imports has followed the latest push for Grupo Modelo's Corona Extra beer brand in the US with a national multimedia advertising campaign for Modelo Especial in the country....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020