US: California wine harvest set to fall
California wine harvest to fall 12%
California's wine grape harvest is set to be 12% lower this year, according to the California Wine Institute.
The 2010 harvest is likely to be 3.3m tonnes, 6% lower than the forecast in August and 12% down on 2009, said the Institute, citing estimates from the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
A lower harvest should help to relieve pressure on the sector as consumer sentiment in the US has remained subdued.
Sales of domestically-produced wine in the US rose by almost 2% in volume in 2009 to 222.7m nine-litre cases, according to Beverage Information Group figures. California accounts for more than 90% of wine production in the US.
California-based Constellation Brands said last month that it gained confidence on US wine market trends in its fiscal second quarter.
"During the quarter, we experienced improving US wine depletion trends and retail execution despite an uncertain consumer and competitive environment," said Constellation's CEO Rob Sands.
Crown Imports has followed the latest push for Grupo Modelo's Corona Extra beer brand in the US with a national multimedia advertising campaign for Modelo Especial in the country....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China