US: California to house Yakult US factory
Yakult will build its first factory in the US in California
Yakult has chosen a US location for a production facility for its namesake probiotic drink.
The US subsidiary of Tokyo-based Yakult Honsha Co confirmed earlier this month that it will build its first factory in the country in Fountain Valley, near Los Angeles, in California.
The facility, which will produce around 250,000 bottles of Yakult per day, is expected to begin operations in 2012.
"We are looking forward to the completion of the Yakult California factory since it will allow us to provide our product to more people across the country," said executive vice president and COO Teruo Tabuchi. “Fountain Valley is ideal because it is in close proximity to Los Angeles, which is our biggest market now.”
Yakult USA will subsequently look to expand the drink's coverage in the country beyond its current markets of California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Colorado and New Mexico.
The company will continue to import the beverage from Guadalajara, Mexico, the closest plant to US borders, until the factory opens.
Yakult was first introduced to the US in late 2007.
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- Comment - Coke Life: Hit or Miss?
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- Cognac plays the waiting game in China
- Pernod Ricard swings at Portman Group
- Remy posts Q1 sales drop as Edrington loss bites
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- C&C Group steps down as Portman Group funder
- Distell to take 26% stake in spirits firm KHEAL