US: California set to tax RTDs as spirits
The California State Board of Equalization (BOE) has set in motion a rulemaking procedure which would tax RTDs as distilled spirits rather than as beer which is their current classification.
"Flavoured Malt beverages should be taxed as distilled spirits because they fall under the category of distilled spirits, as written in California law," said state controller John Chiang. "While today's vote is about fair taxation, taxing flavoured malt beverages as liquor will also help reduce their popularity with young people by simply pricing the product out of their reach."
Pressure groups which had united to form the California Youth and Alcopops Coalition to push for the change welcomed the move.
"This is an enlightened step forward in controlling underage consumption of alcohol," said Bruce Lee Livingston, executive director of Marin Institute, a think-tank based in California which advocates tighter alcohol legislation. "For generations, 'Big Alcohol' has evaded proper taxation on these products. Now, the state will benefit and the health and well-being of our youth will be improved."
If passed into state law, the proposed change would increase the average price of RTDs by an estimated 25%, and some forecasts expect it would generate over US$40m in additional tax revenue.
Alcohol harm is back at the top of the media agenda this week - is it ever away for long? The Alcohol Health Alliance, a newly-formed association of 24 leading health organisations in the UK, is c...
Growth for wine in emerging markets, the possibility that European wine producers will regain some ground on the New World, and continued consumer interest in healthier drinks are among the many forec...
Saigon Beer Alcohol Beverage Corp (Sabeco) has seen its IPO fall short of the company's target....
The head of Vin & Sprit's spirits division has said that the current global economic uncertainty should not affect the unit in 2008....
Radico Khaitan has posted a healthy leap in quarterly net profit....
A drink claiming to be the world's first active pre-tox drink has begun a listing in the UK....
Sales of alcohol in Norway rose slightly last year, according to the latest figures from the country's retail monopoly....
Vodka continued its surge in the US market in 2007, and distilled spirit sales overall in the country grew for the eighth straight year, up 5.6% in value and 2.4% in volume, according to figures relea...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends